From Richard Bach

That’s what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we’ve changed because of it, and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning. - Richard Bach

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Kriegspiel 1


This is my first post of a "Kriegspiel Style" Replay. I was sitting at The Source, MFLGS, and the two players were miles away, in Stillwater I think. The Colonial player was using IMing on FB, and the British player was using gmail. After receiving his first turn orders, neither he nor I received any gmail messages until they all appeared the next morning! Next time I do a remote game it is going to be all on FB IMing. Otherwise, we could all meet at a local public house, sit apart, and I could pick up orders and deliver reports. That would actually be preferable because it would be more structured. This way left the C in C's barraging me with orders all night long, and it really doesn't work this way.

The way it did work is like this:

They send me their orders for their subordinate commanders.

I read the orders and try to interpret their intention just like the real commanders would have had to do.

I move and fight a turn.

I compose their commander's reports and return them to the players. In the reports I tell them what they see and hear, in addition to what they glean from their reports. If they move adjacent to a sub-commander, they will see what he sees and can give orders directly.


Since the first couple of turns were messed up because of my lost contact with the British player, I'm beginning this on turn 3.


 Around 6:30 in the evening Greene finds the Hessians across Jones' ford ready to attack. Mad Anthony Wayne sweeps them from the river's edge. Meanwhile, at Chadd's ford Fraser's broadsword wielding Highlanders destroy the Pennsylvania militia, but are themselves spent by the effort and retreat.


 By eight 0'clock Wayne's somewhat spent Division crosses back over Jone's ford to help with the colonial left and the rest of Greene's troops form a rearguard. There is heavy skirmishing above Chadds ford, but the British don't risk any units in a serious assault.
And so combat ends and the Battle of the Brandywine is over. The British gain a moderate victory having sustained no serious losses while costing the rebels two units. Bland's dragoons swing around the British right flank and contest Nottingham Road denying the British a major victory. Historically, had the battle ended like this, Washington would have been happy that his army contested the British and managed to live to fight another day.

In the future, I hope to have the pictures preceded by the commanders orders and followed by the sub-commander's reports. But I wanted to get this battle up so the players could get their first glimpse of how the battle actually looked, versus what they thought it looked like. This is where Pub Battles: Brandywine played Kriegspiel style is so different. It is less a contest of tactical skill, and more a study of command and control.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm..... at first, I thought the Colonial attack on the right against the Hessian's foolhardy and a waste of troops and time. Upon closer examination, I noticed that they are perilously close to the major road by Parkerville! It doesn't look like they actually cut it but with a little more effort I think they easily could have!!

    Given that, there was no need to send Bland up and around to cut the road to the NE. It would have been cut already at it's source. Yikes!

    I'd call that a Major Colonial victory. IF they would have pushed just a little further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the orders go? Any interesting mishaps? I really preferred the photos of handwritten messages. Lots more can go wrong then. :) Typed out clearly in text takes out much of the potential mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I find it interesting that you keep trying to add more fog of war into the mix. In the experiences I've had thus far, it is always too foggy.

    Every time the commanders get to finally see the replay they are totally shocked by the actual battle. They tell me that it looks nothing like what they were envisioning.

    Now that is al fine and they all say they had a great time, but it indicates that the fogginess is perhaps just right. Perhaps as players gain more experience this will change. For right now, I'm trying to give them as good an idea as I can, by describing sights ands sounds as well as technical reports.

    Also, I'm just coming off this horrible cold which has left me quite foggy. I imagine bringing one kind of blog post to the table, but the result I am actually able to put together is actually somewhat lacking.

    I played three games today and took fotos of every turn. Now I look at the fotos and they are totally alien to me. Perhaps I should take notes, but as it is I'm very busy. I don't know where I would have time to take notes unless we were limiting ourselves to one turn per evening.

    ReplyDelete