From Richard Bach

That’s what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we’ve changed because of it, and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning. - Richard Bach

Monday, June 13, 2016

Parchment Rulebook

As a playtester I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of the game. Unfortunately, the rulebook I got is not the final version, a few kind of important changes were made. This meant I no longer had an up to date rulebook. I did have a pdf of the latest version of the rules, so with that and some parchment paper and my handy printer, I printed out a copy of the rulebook and did a quick and simple binding. Below in pictures with comments I show you what I did. This first picture is what the finished rulebook looks like.






3 comments:

  1. Wow! Very cool. I was waiting to hear more about this binding....

    Now what? Do you glue the edges together? How do you attach the leather cover?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course, this is done. How much time do I need to spend on a rulebook that will barely ever get looked at! If I had intended to give it a leather cover I would have kept it a soft leather cover since it needs to roll up in the tube. I would have sewn it on so it would look extra cool, and because the rules are only 4 sheets of paper. Had I done this it would not have lain flat, which is also marginally important, in my mind, for this rule book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you tape the two sheets 2 & 3 together and the other two sheets 6 & 7 together, you now have all 8 pages of rules in two bindings. The last step of taping 4 & 5 puts those two bindings together, so you have all 8 pages of the rulebook in one. The next step of adding the outside tape is just for increased strength.

    This whole process, from printing to final trimming of the book to size, which I did last, took less than ten minutes. So this was a very quick job. Adding a leather cover would have been an all night project, and that's if I didn't bother adding anything to the leather, like lettering or embossing.

    ReplyDelete